The materials listed below are recent publications. Unless otherwise indicated, items mentioned on this page are available at your favorite music dealer. Check this list of AOSA Industry Members for contact information. Updated 12/1/16.
Beatin’ Path Publications
- Hands to Hands, Too!: Hand Clapping Songs and Games from the USA and Canada – by Aimee Curtis Pfitzner: In her second volume of movement activities, the author includes 43 original and traditional clapping songs and games to actively engage the body and brain. Body percussion notation and photos of the movements help prepare the activities for students. Full color visuals for projection are available for purchasers at www.singsmileplay.com. $29.95.
- Strum It Up! – by Sandy Lantz and Gretchen Wahlberg: This collection offers 21 ukulele arrangements in the Orff style accompanied by barred instruments, unpitched percussion, and recorder. Ukulele warm-ups and teaching ideas are included and some lessons feature creative movement and improvisation. Lyric sheets, chord charts, and visuals are available for purchasers at www.sandygretchen.com. $24.95.
The Lorenz Corporation (including Heritage Music Press & Memphis Musicraft Publications)
- Adventures with the Orchestra – by Artie Almeida: With this text, students will learn, review, listen, and explore the symphony orchestra. WebVisits, games, worksheets, and movement with parachutes, ribbons, and plates are featured. The book contains an accompanying CD with instrument listening examples and visuals. A companion website is available at http://music4you.lorenz.com/orchestra.html. $34.95.
- Awesome Books with Musical Hooks: Using Children’s Literature to Expand Your Musical Horizons – by Katie Grace Miller: Sixteen lessons for little ones, slightly bigger kids, and those never too old for children’s literature are included in this new text. Each lesson features a picture book with ideas for assessment and performance opportunities. The accompanying CD contains lesson visuals. $19.95.
- The Orff Anthology: The Best Lessons from the Legends of Orff-Schulwerk – This text, commemorating the 50th anniversary of AOSA, compiles the work of well-known Orff teachers Jim Solomon, Shirley McRae, Linda High, Don Dupont and Brain Hiller, and Isabel McNeill Carley. Body percussion, Orff arrangements, folk stories, lessons, and dances are included. $19.95.
- Rhythm Writer: Drag and Drop Composing – by Phyllis Thomas: For PK-5 students, this technology resource, compatible with all interactive white boards, encourages composition with icon, stick, and standard notation. Students can drag and drop the notation in 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4, add repeat signs, print their compositions, and listen to their work. $14.95.
Rhythm Band Instruments
- 1-2 Let’s All Play! – by Mary Knysh: This new text presents sequential strategies to enhance rhythmic skills, creativity, and self-expression through songs, rhythmic games, and brain-based drumming and movement activities suited for children. The step-by-step activities explore ethnic traditions and nonverbal communication through improvisation. $28.00.
- Games Method Rhythm Clock: This rhythm teaching tool includes 31 wooden pieces representing whole, half, quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes with their corresponding rests on the back. The accompanying clock shows degrees, percentages, fractions, clock positions, and north, south, east, and west to make connections between music and other content areas. A CD with performance samples is included. $39.95.
- pBuzz: This plastic instrument has a cupped mouthpiece. Buzz your lips and slide the bell in and out to play six different pitches. Teaching resources including color-coded pBuzz tunes, backing tracks, and lesson plans are available online at education.warwickmusicgroup.com/teaching-resources. $29.95.
- A Funny Thing Happened… – by Bob Bergin: This new text from the President of Sweet Pipes contains humorous stories about his life journey as a student, husband, father, band director, professional musician, air national guard trumpet player, salesman, executive, and world traveler. On a serious note, the chapter “My Bad” shares a life lesson learned from AOSA President Gin Ebinger. $12.95/paperback, $4.99/Kindle.
Theme and Variations
- Music Rules Poster Pack: This 8.5” x 11” color cardstock poster pack includes music room rules, audience behavior, and instrument care. Twenty-two posters appropriate for bulletin boards are included, along with lesson plans. $25.00.
- Musicplay PreK Part 1: Fall – by Denise Gagné: This set of 12 lessons for fall includes more than 40 poems, fingerplays, songs, listening examples, movement activities, instrument activities, and storybook lessons for prekindergarten students. The digital resources include projectable poems, song movies, kids demonstration movies, and teaching demonstrations. $50.00/teacher’s guide and CD, $50.00/digital resources and printables, $80.00/teacher’s guide and digital resources.
- Many Moons – by James Thurber: This award winning picture book is a classic tale of a princess that wanted the moon. The king called in his wisest advisors, but no one could think of how to bring the moon to the princess. The court jester finally reveals the answer and the princess shows true wisdom. $17.00/hardcover, $7.00/paperback.
- The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky’s Abstract Art – by Barb Rosenstock: This Caldecott Honor Book tells the story of Vasily Kandinsky, one of the very fist painters of abstract art. Throughout his life, Kandinsky experienced colors as sounds and sounds as colors. The result was groundbreaking works of art. $17.99.
- Responsive Classroom for Music, Art, PE, and Other Special Areas – from Responsive Classroom: Advice, tips, charts, planners, and examples from experienced music teachers who use Responsive Classroom practices are featured in this new text. These research based, common-sense strategies include how to open and close each class period, model music skills and routines, use positive teacher language, help students regulate their energy levels, and respond to misbehavior. $24.00.