The Orff Echo editorial board is seeking submissions for our Summer 2018 issue. The featured topic is The First Five Years of Teaching: Surviving, Thriving, and Embarking on the Orff Approach. The deadline for submissions is November 15, 2017.
The first five years of teaching can be extremely challenging, yet also filled with excitement, fulfillment, and unlimited learning opportunities. These years play a critical role in teachers’ decisions to remain in a teaching career or explore other possibilities. This issue will examine the challenges new music teachers face, and the impact of the Orff Schulwerk approach during the formative teaching years and beyond. We encourage writers to reflect on their teaching experiences and those of colleagues as they consider the following questions:
• What challenges do new music educators face during the first five years of teaching?
• What advice about teaching can new music educators share with each other?
• What is, or what might be, the role of the Orff Schulwerk approach during the first five years of teaching?
• What are the successes and challenges of incorporating the Orff Schulwerk approach at different points in an educator’s career?
• What wisdom and advice can experienced Orff Schulwerk educators share with less-experienced educators?
• What might be the role of teacher education programs in facilitating early access to Orff Schulwerk pedagogy and teacher education?
• What might be the role of the American Orff-Schulwerk Association in connecting with pre-service teacher education programs and teacher induction and mentorship programs?
The Orff Echo is always interested in original research and informative, lively articles covering all other aspects of Orff Schulwerk—movement, improvisation, play, and singing. Our format allows for submissions focused on your area of interest in addition to our featured topic.
Please contact Chet-Yeng Loong (firstname.lastname@example.org), Lisa Lehmberg (email@example.com), or Matthew Stensrud (firstname.lastname@example.org) with submissions, proposals, and questions regarding the Summer 2018 issue, The First Five Years of Teaching: Surviving, Thriving, and Embarking on the Orff Approach.