The Orff Echo Editorial Board is soliciting articles for the Winter 2019 issue, “Shades of the Schulwerk.” Submission deadline is May 15, 2018.
“Shades of the Schulwerk” will highlight the diversity within the Orff Schulwerk practice and the questions that arise as a result of different contexts, applications, and interpretations of the approach. How do our individual interpretations of Orff Schulwerk contribute to the variety of applications (shades) of the approach?
We invite various types of submissions such as (1) philosophical and theoretical work reflecting the application of the Schulwerk; (2) interpretation and adaptation of Orff pedagogical techniques for music and other teachings; (3) empirical and/or historical research related to the Schulwerk.
We encourage writers to consider the following questions:
1. What philosophical questions arise from the various interpretations (shades) of the Orff Schulwerk?
2. How does Orff Schulwerk synthesize with other general music approaches and genres in the elementary music classroom, e.g., Dalcroze, Kodály, Gordon, modern band, jazz, world music, pop music?
3. How has the instrumentarium of the Schulwerk—such as ukuleles, drum circles, etc.—evolved?
4. How is the Orff Schulwerk culturally responsive and culturally varied in its application?
5. How do the different interpretations of the Schulwerk affect our personal application of the approach?
6. How is the Schulwerk being used in settings outside of the traditional elementary music classroom, e.g., adult ensembles, multidisciplinary courses, middle/secondary classrooms, instrumental music?
7. How does the Orff Schulwerk approach complement other content areas?
The Orff Echo Editorial Board is always interested in original research and informative articles covering all aspects of Orff Schulwerk and music education, such as movement, play, singing, assessment, and curricular planning. Our format allows for submissions dedicated to your area of interest in addition to our featured topic.
Please contact Nicola Mason (email@example.com) and Roxanne Dixon (firstname.lastname@example.org) with submissions or questions regarding the Winter 2019 issue, “Shades of the Schulwerk.” For submission guidelines or for general questions about The Orff Echo, send inquiries to Linda Hines (email@example.com).