The Orff Echo Editorial Board is soliciting articles for the Spring 2021 issue. The featured topic is “Playing with Process.” The deadline for submissions is August 15, 2020.
The words “play” and “process” are often used when describing how teachers teach using Orff Schulwerk approaches. But both play and process can have multiple meanings and interpretations. “Playing with Process” seeks to explore how Orff Schulwerk teachers play with process and process with play.
We invite various types of submissions such as: (1) philosophical and theoretical work reflecting the application of the Schulwerk; (2) interpretation and adaptation of Orff pedagogical techniques for music and other teachings; (3) empirical and/or historical research related to the Schulwerk; (4) articles that support AOSA’s diversity statement.
We encourage writers to consider the following questions:
- What is “process?” Is it how we teach or is it what we teach?
- What is “play?” Is it free exploration or is it structured experiences?
- How do Orff practitioners play with process? Are those two pillars of the Schulwerk inextricably intertwined or independent of one another?
- How do explorative and playful experiences transform into the acquisition of new learning? Must this always occur?
- What if …? How can …? What are …? How might …? How do these open-ended questions impact student creativity?
- What “processes” should be considered when choosing diverse repertoire, songs, and stories?
- What is the importance of “play” in Orff Schulwerk teaching and/or teaching music in general?
The Orff Echo Editorial Board is always interested in original research and informative articles covering all aspects of Orff Schulwerk and music education, such as movement, play, singing, assessment, and curricular planning. Our format allows for submissions dedicated to your area of interest in addition to our featured topic.
Please contact Christine Ballenger (email@example.com), Diana Hawley (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Matthew Stensrud (email@example.com) with submissions or questions regarding the Spring 2021 issue, “Playing with Process.” For general questions about The Orff Echo, send inquiries to Linda Hines (firstname.lastname@example.org). Articles can be submitted through the Echo Articles Submission Form.